[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - Anyone running KQ7 with DosBox?

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

Anyone running KQ7 with DosBox?

Help getting these games running on your current computer

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Postby stringtapper » Wed May 25, 2005 1:46 pm

stringtapper
Otto's Yo-Yo

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 4th guy » Wed May 25, 2005 10:23 pm

I don't belive that a dos version was made.
4th guy
Graham's Feather

Postby Robin » Wed May 25, 2005 11:14 pm

KQ7 is pure Windows. :wink:
Please take a look at the latest rules, it is essential you follow them. !
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby Nobara » Thu May 26, 2005 3:24 am

Try looking at this -- . It's Sierra Planet's KQ7 technical help page. They have a patch and some general information and whatnot about installing KQ7. Admittedly, the patch doesn't solve installation issues, but yeah.

Also, I haven't tried to play it yet, but on the box of my recently-purchased copy of KQ7 it says "Windows 95/Win/DOS CD," so there are DOS versions of the game. I'm not sure if all of them are DOS-compatible, but yeah.
Nobara
Dr. Brain's Hippocampus

Postby stringtapper » Thu May 26, 2005 8:58 am

The copy I just bought says "Windows 3.1 or higher CD-ROM" which made me think it must supported DOS. I'm use Macs and I'm running DosBox which so far has worked very well for playing all of the old games. I own KQ7 for Mac as well but it only runs in the Classic environment and I didn't want to put OS 9 on my computer just to play one game. So I bought this PC version of KQ7 in hopes of running it in DosBox.

Sucks too, because I never actually was able to play KQ7 because the computer and CD-ROM drive I had back then couldn't even handle the game; it was so slow I just quit trying.

Thanks for the site though, it just might help me find a solution.
stringtapper
Otto's Yo-Yo

Postby odino » Sat May 28, 2005 6:12 am

odino
Saurus Herder

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:38 pm

Im not to good with computers but i really really want to play this game i have installed it fine and tweaked all the things in properties but as soon as i click on the game it comes up with this DLL icon and shuts down the game please help by the way i have windows xp

Postby 4th guy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:38 pm

Parhaps you should tell us what type of icon this is.
4th guy
Graham's Feather

Postby Maxor127 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:52 pm

I suggest don't even bother playing it unless you've never played these others... anything before it is much better, including the simplistic King's Quest 1. Black Cauldron is even better than it. I remember when I first got it in the King's Quest Collection and I was excited about playing a King's Quest game I'd never played before. And I played through it hoping it would get better... then I realized it wouldn't get better so I played on just to say I got through it and hoped at least the ending would be good. I think it was while being in the dogtown that I wanted to kill myself to end the torture. There's no excitement, difficulty, or satisfaction in the game. The graphics aren't bad but styled so different than the other games, that you miss the old games. The voice-acting is horrible. Some of the music will drive you crazy. The characters are annoying and the locations range from boring to cheesy. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who actually enjoyed playing this game so that I can hear why.
Maxor127
Vohaul's Campaign Manager

Postby Robin » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:17 pm

There were 2 versions of the game released, one was completely for Windows 95 with a castle on the box, and the first release was for win95 & Dos released with the normal box. So I guess you just need to use the same methods as you would to get SQ4 to work for example.
Please take a look at the latest rules, it is essential you follow them. !
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Return to Installation Issues