[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - Space Quest V without the Galactic Inquirer ?

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

Space Quest V without the Galactic Inquirer ?

Discussion about the Space Quest Series

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:10 pm

I have version of SQ5 that doesn't iclude Inquirer, is my SQ5 incomplete or can it be that this Inquirer doesn't come on every release of SQ5, please help me.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 4th guy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:35 pm

I think it's not complete. The magazine contains copy protection information.
4th guy
Graham's Feather

Postby Tseki » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:02 am

Damn...
Tseki
Hurtz Rent a Bike Ad Exec

Postby MikEBorG » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:51 am

That's not a slash release. I know because I have one. Your copy is definatetly a quality sierra release.

I must conclude that you are missing the inquirer.
"Where there's a Wilco, there's a way!!!"
MikEBorG
Clerk at Black's Market

Postby Tseki » Mon May 01, 2006 11:25 pm

Space Quest with Inquirer acquired :)

Last edited by Tseki on Thu May 04, 2006 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tseki
Hurtz Rent a Bike Ad Exec

Postby 4th guy » Tue May 02, 2006 8:55 am

4th guy
Graham's Feather

Postby Xenon Explosion » Wed May 03, 2006 3:33 pm

I think I remember seeing a Slash copy of SQ5 on eBay a while ago.

The disks labels were the "third generation" ones with the three disks:

and it only included the center page of the Inquirer with "Gir Draxon's Predictions for 3010" (which also contains the codes used in the game)

I think it ended at five bucks.

-Tom.
Xenon Explosion
Clerk at Black's Market

Postby Johnathon » Wed May 03, 2006 6:56 pm

I'm quite confident that those 3rd generation disks did not come with the slash release. I got slashed accidently on a package of SQ5, and if my memory serves me, the disks inside were not like that. I think they were just black text on a white label.

However, the rest of your description meets up with my experience, as mine only had a cheap copy of the center page of the inquirer.
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby scott3107 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:23 am

scott3107
Nontoonyt Cannibalistic Native

Postby Johnathon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:04 pm

Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby scott3107 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:18 pm

Sounds like mine is the official release then. Awesome!
scott3107

Postby Johnathon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:28 pm

Lol, glad I could help you with that.

(Sigh), seems like only yesterday when I came out of "On-Cue" with that brand new shelf copy. The memories. If only to relive them again, not only every ten years after forgetting only 3 puzzles...
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby Xenon Explosion » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:25 pm

Scott -- That's an official release, but probably one that had a yellow "Value Priced Merchandise" sticker on it.

First Editions (or First Pressings? We need a name for these...) came with the multicolored Sierra Game Manual, not the one with the logo coming out of the computer. They also include the "Big Savings Inside" catalog.

The ones with the logo coming out of the computer are the second-run of releases. (Note that the manual is indeed COLOR on the 2nd runs).

The third version I have comes with a black & white Sierra Game Manual with the logo coming out of the computer, but it still has the rainbow-colored disks, not the cascading style like you describe. The one I have has a sticker from Babages on the outer wrap still, for $17.99 -- so it's definitely not a first release.

Also, first editions are VER#1.0, INT#2.5.93
Second and Third editions VER#1.01 INT#3.1.93

Looks like the very first editions only had a run for about a month, making them quite rare.

Hope this helps!
-Tom.

PS-- forgot to mention, System Requirements stickers on first and second editions are BLUE (VGA and EGA) and fold over the front of the box. The third edition I mentioned has a GREY sticker that DOES NOT fold over the front (only on the spine) That usually indicates a "Value" or "Slash" release.
Xenon Explosion
Clerk at Black's Market

Postby Johnathon » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:57 pm

A further note:

The release with the "Value Priced Merchandise" sticker should include the Galactic Inquirer with the ALTERNATE SQ6 Advertisement page (instead of the more common Sierra Land Oprah marries Elvis Ad).

At least, this is what I've found with the two releases I've purchased in the past, with that yellow value sticker.

Personally, if you ask me, the SQ6 "Back Page Ad" is preferable over the other more common one. At least for a Space Quest Fan. I was glad to receive that version, in exchange for having a simple game manual without more color on the front. A great trade off, and they didn't cut anything out of the package either.

For an example of what I'm referring to, view my downloads page and download the . View the last page. You'll see what I mean.

EDIT: I forgot. Another notable improvement between the latter and former versions of the Inquirer Releases. On the Page with the "Planet Terrorized by Farmers from Earth" heading, the duplicates of the farmers in the flying trucks in the background, differ from the largest one closet up, giving it more appearance of variety.

If you purchased the game box with the value priced sticker, you should possess the inquirer with these two improvements.
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby scott3107 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:25 pm

scott3107

Next

Return to Space Quest