[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - Quality Backgrounds in the Space Quest Series...

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

Quality Backgrounds in the Space Quest Series...

Discussion about the Space Quest Series

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Postby MikEBorG » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:26 am

I have been compiling a collection of all the screenshots in all space quest games, so as to analyze them and use them for ideas with graphic design regarding my own fan project. I will be using them to refer to as I'm moving foreward through the graphic design stage of the game.

The point here is, in doing so, I have come up with some statistics that I thought I might share with other fans here. The number of quality screenshots which were designed for the Space Quest series increases for each chapter except for 2 of the games. Can you guess which two they are?

Space Quest 2 and Space Quest 5.

I just think it may be an interesting indication of how much effort and budget was put into each of the games back in the early days of sierra, though it may not be an accurate assumption after all. Nonetheless, here are the stats.

Space Quest 1 (Original EGA) = 71 Screens
Space Quest 1 (VGA Remake) = 73 Screens
Space Quest 2 = 66 Screens
Space Quest 3 = 99 Screens
Space Quest 4 = 104 Screens
Space Quest 5 = 96 Screens
Space Quest 6 = 118 Screens

I believe it is understandably predictable that SQ2 should have ended up one of the lower ones (actually, the lowest one), as it has been in general one of the least favorite games of the series by fans, according to originality, uniqueness, and quality in length and story structure, although I must admit that SQ2 was a favorite of mine.

Now, it's no surprise to me that SQ3 came out higher than SQ1 and SQ2 but I must admit, I was somewhat surprised to find that it had actually lost to SQ4, and also that it had beaten SQ5, knocking it out of the top 3. In my perception, SQ4 was quite a short sequel, and SQ5 seemed like much longer of an adventure than SQ3 was. I'm also surprised that SQ5 lost even to SQ4 as well.

One thing that really surprised me, how SQ6 came out as the leader. I guess it's not that far-fetched after all. SQ6 did possess some pretty unique and diverse art, but I had planned on SQ5 being the ultimate winner.

SQ5 seemed to me like it was going to take 1st place, but it actually came out in fourth! Though, it didn't loose by very much to the others, except for SQ6, which beat it by 22 screenshots.

Note: I did not count any screens which I considered to be basically clones of others or, not unique enough to be counted. For example, the cavern maze in SQ2, or the various viewport backgrounds which can be viewed outside of the ships in SQ5 and SQ6. So, this list may not be precisely accurate, and is subject to one's own opinion on what unique is, but I think it's pretty darned accurrate enough, as close as can be gotten anyways.

You may have noticed that I didn't include SQ1VGA. I kind of forgot to go through that one before making this post. I'll be gathering the stats on that one later, and will include it in a reply. In the meantime, please make any due comments on this experiment.

I actually think it would be an interesting idea to analyze the other aspects of the adventures, like for example, the # of puzzles, spoken dialogue, jokes, sounds, animations, and other such game ellements and keep a record of them for the future. This way, we could come to understand why fans vote the way they do about these game in community poles.

MikE

EDIT: SQ1VGA Remake total has been added to the stats.
Last edited by MikEBorG on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where there's a Wilco, there's a way!!!"
MikEBorG
Clerk at Black's Market

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Maxor127 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:03 pm

SQ2 is probably my favorite. I'm surprised SQ3 had that many screens. I won it in about a day with little effort. I only really got stuck on two parts: finding the reactor? in the garbage ship to power the Mallard and beating the android guy. Do your statistics count the different tunnels you crawl through? I would've thought SQ2 had some of the most. The planet may have been small, but I thought it more detailed and interesting than the others and I remember the asteroid being huge with different levels and rooms.
Maxor127
Vohaul's Campaign Manager

Postby MikEBorG » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:24 am

I believe I only remember not counting the cavern maze with the squid in it, in SQ2. The reason for this was because none of it was much like a background, but only blackness with a single character sprite moving accross it.
MikEBorG
Clerk at Black's Market

Postby MikEBorG » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:57 pm

MikEBorG
Clerk at Black's Market

Return to Space Quest