[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - Quest for Glory 4 combat hints

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

Quest for Glory 4 combat hints

Discussion about the QFG Series

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Postby halfmm » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:19 pm

I recently purchased a copy of Quest fro Glory 4. When these games where new I played 1-3 but never made it to 4 or 5. I'm running the game via dosbox.

I started player as a Fighter just to take a look at the game and I'm having some trouble understanding the controls during combat work. According to the manual SHIFT-left is supposed to make my character defend, like wise the down arrow is supposed to make the character duck and with SHIFT defend. When I try these keys I don't see any change in animation to indicate defense. When I let the computer do the fighting for me I some times see the character hide behind his shield, I'd consider that to be defensive. I've found a multitude of monsters and I can't seem to defend against any of their attacks. Are magical attack in qfg4 not defensable?

Are there any more experienced qfg4 players here that can shed some light on this? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't quite figure out what. In previous qfg games combat abilitites where important to the game I'd prefer to be prepared when I do finally need to use my skills.

Thanks in advance!
halfmm

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Maxor127 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:33 am

Funny, I don't think I ever even used block or duck during combat. There should be animations for them. I'm assuming other directions work? When I'd fight, I'd just click crazily to attack, or launch a lot of spells. I really don't like QFG4 combat.
Maxor127
Vohaul's Campaign Manager

Postby Kenneth » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:37 am

I remember there was a glitch in QFG4 (no way...) that allowed you to easily get your Dodge, Parry and Weapon Use all the way to 400 points (max amount). It envolved the vorpal bunny somehow.

As for the controls, I forgot most of them, but it depends what class you are. Down on the keyboard for fighter makes you weild your shield, on the theif you duck, etc.

Also, if you are a theif, you can do something REALLY cool and attack monsters with acrobatics, you have to duck and click on yourself I think.
Kenneth
Lytton's Mayoral Office Clerk

Postby Maxor127 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:53 am

I always play a thief and I don't think I even knew you could attack that way. I'd just throw daggers or shoot spells and finish them off up close since I was a thief/magic-user death machine. I've been tempted to play as a paladin though. Flaming swords are cool. I tried to do it the pure way and start as a fighter in QFG2 but I missed returning someone's money purse so I screwed up the whole becoming a paladin thing and I that pissed me off so I quit and haven't gone back to it yet. Maybe when GFG2 VGA comes out...
Maxor127
Vohaul's Campaign Manager

Postby Kenneth » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:04 pm

Yeah the acrobat thing is cool, I tried it recently, you have to hold down and then click on your enemy, it takes off alot of stamina and it takes off a ton of energy if you get hurt while trying it.
Kenneth
Lytton's Mayoral Office Clerk

Return to Quest for Glory