[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - Finally! A great way to enjoy Sierra games on a current PC!

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

Finally! A great way to enjoy Sierra games on a current PC!

Help getting these games running on your current computer

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Postby FesterBlatz » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:26 am

I found a little DOS emulator called DOSBOX the other day, and for those of you that don't want to buy an old 486 to enjoy your games this might be your answer.

Here is the url

So far every game I have tried has worked beautifly, you even get sound! Sure it isn't MT-32 but it is better than nothing.
Hut of Brown, Now Sit Down!

FesterBlatz
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby King Graham » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:11 pm

King Graham
Lytton's Mayoral Office Clerk

Postby FesterBlatz » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:37 pm

Hut of Brown, Now Sit Down!

FesterBlatz
Site Admin

help

Postby SG23 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:01 pm

SG23
Otto's Yo-Yo

Postby LazyGal81 » Sat May 01, 2004 4:40 am

Ok..yeah...you guys might think I'm stoopid (perhaps I am! so THERE! :lol: ), but I clicked on that link, then clicked on "downloads"....what am I exactly downloading, here!? :lol:
"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."--Monkey Island 1

LazyGal81

Postby Robin » Fri May 21, 2004 8:39 am

Ive never used DOSBOX? I dont even know what to download? How do you use it? :cry:
Please take a look at the latest rules, it is essential you follow them. !
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

I'm an Idiot, help me.

Postby patf128 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:35 pm

patf128
Otto's Yo-Yo

Postby Skywalker » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:00 am

I just stumbled across this and it seems like a mighty useful
tool. I've just started to use it, but hopefully I can now run
the Space Quest's 4-6 in my collection package. Somehow these
games wouldn't run on my 486 90Mhz...
Got it to work on an old crappy basket-game, can't wait to
try out the Sierra games not to mention Dune 2.

There's a guide on how to use DosBox for you at
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2502

Hope this helps
Skywalker
Roger's Broom Handle

Postby Robin » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:03 am

Nice article Skywalker. Now I know how to use DosBox! :lol:

PS-Welcome to the forum! :wink:
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby Skywalker » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:13 am

Skywalker
Roger's Broom Handle

Postby Robin » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:12 pm

Hehehe! :lol: Well almost 60 percent of the old games are parser so we *have to love them! :wink:
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

trying to run rama in dos box--

Postby buni1161 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:04 am

has anyone had any luck doing this-I did as the instructions said-it suggested I change the files I want to use from "read-only" but the stupid computer won't let me do that-I've tried everything-I really want to play this game again-can anyone help me?
buni1161
Otto's Yo-Yo

Postby QuestCollector » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:25 am

Work great for me. Ok a few things I need to know. What game are you trying to run. Is it a CD or disk. Have you tried mounting your D drive. When you mount your D: drive (or whatever your cd-drive is) When you load up dosbox type mount d d:\ -t cdrom. When you do this it should say MSDECX installed, something near that. This read the Cd and lets you install to a directory drive C: If you don't want to load up each file when you start up dosbox go to dosbox.conf this file should be in your dosbox file. Next when you open it go all the way to the bottom, This is an example from my files. At the bottom you should type this.

Mount c c:\oldgames (that is my file where my games are stored)
c:

Type this exactly as I showed just not the parenthesis.

This will load up the files automatically.

If you need anymore help just post here again and tell me the game you are trying to install and if it is a disk or cd. Certain games don't work at all that I have tried. For example Wing Commander 3 No voice on Laura Bow 2 and no voice in Freddy Pharkas.

I hoped that this helps you out, and good luck Enjoy the Games!
May the Farce Be With You!
QuestCollector
Noxious Spore Harvester

Postby King Graham » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:32 am

Very helpful guide QC. Out of curiousity, what kind of system are you running DOSBox on?
King Graham

ok-here goes-

Postby buni1161 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:00 am

I'm trying to run rama on xp-I know xp has its own emulator-and tried to install into that but the install won't work-so I tried dosbox-and dosbox won't work either-I've almost given up hope-
buni1161
Otto's Yo-Yo

Next

Return to Installation Issues