[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - Phantasmagoria on DVD?

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

Phantasmagoria on DVD?

Help getting these games running on your current computer

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Phantasmagoria on DVD?

Postby haciendacaliente » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:36 pm

Has anybody found a way to put Phantasmagoria on DVD (without writing it to CD first, using the german installation program, and re-writing everything to DVD)?
haciendacaliente
Otto's Yo-Yo

Phantasmagoria on DVD?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 4th guy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:29 pm

Just compress the files to an archive and burn that on a dvd. To install, just extract the file and there you go! :lol:
4th guy
Graham's Feather

Postby haciendacaliente » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:33 pm

Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I mean to say is, has anybody found a way to *run* Phantasmagoria from a DVD?
haciendacaliente
Otto's Yo-Yo

Postby MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:41 pm

I don't think that's possible as some games need to write files to the disk. Some games don't but some do. If it doesn't need to write files to a disk then it might be possible. You just have to install the whole game into some directory, change the pathways in the config files so they wouldn't conflict if they were on a DVD and then burn that directory as a DVD.

Not a simple process, but if you know what you're doing it's possible. But realistically I wouldn't recommend it.
"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood,
MusicallyInspired
Graham's Feather

Postby Spike » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:30 pm

I can think of one way, if you have a good enough machine.

Get the virtual drive program "Daemon Tools" (or equivalent) and have the 7 CD's as image files (ISO, CCD, BIN etc are all fine) on the DVD. From Daemon Tools, you can run the CD's all as separate drives, to a max. of 4. When you require say disc 6, simply load it over a disc you don't currently need.

- Spike
Spike
Jesse Bains's Protege

Postby MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:57 am

Why...that's brilliant. Why didn't I think of that...

I guess I'm just thinking about the DOS version, but then you could still use Daemon tools with DOSBox without any problems.
"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood,
MusicallyInspired
Graham's Feather

Postby Spike » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:07 pm

Spike
Jesse Bains's Protege

Postby MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:03 pm

Well I know that there is a patch online that allows you to convert your GK2 6-CD copy into DVD format and burn it on a DVD...at least I'm pretty sure. I never knew there were official versions, though.
-Guybrush Threepwood,
MusicallyInspired
Graham's Feather

Postby haciendacaliente » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:07 pm

Somebody made a german-language variant of that program for Phantasmagoria...but since I'm not working from CDs, it is a little difficult to use it to copy files from each individual CD (unless, of course, I mount each directory as a different virtual drive) to make the DVD.

I did compare the contents of a few of the CDs using a file-comparison program that I have, and outside of the resource file, there's doesn't seem to be too many different-sized files that have the same name. What audio is contained in the resource file in this game?

Outside of the resource file, it looks like the entire file system for the game could be dumped in the same directories on a DVD without any problems.

EDIT: Actually, I spoke too soon. The German program does allow you to copy all of the files from directories on your hard drive into one game directory.
haciendacaliente
Otto's Yo-Yo

Return to Installation Issues