[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - How to properly handle your collection

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

How to properly handle your collection

Discussion the growing interest in software collecting

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Postby Samutheus » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:34 pm

Some good advice have been given here on obtaining the games for one's collection. I'd be interested in having insights how to go on from there. No point having hundred goodies in excellent condition if the following year all that remains are some broken boxes, torn sheets and floppies with bad sectors.

As for myself, when a new item arrives, I always carefully read everything. Then I hunt some information of the title from web (t. ex. mobygames.com), add the item to my collection database with all the relevant information, place the box on shelf, archive manuals, reference cards and others on another shelf, and start examining the data storages.

If the game came in floppies (5,25" or 3,5") I backup them immediately (with Firm, an excellent freeware disk image capturer). For CD-ROMs, I usually don't make a mad rush, since the factory-produced CD-ROMs should last dozens of years. I just make a note to the database to backup when 15 years have elapsed since the pressing of the CD. And those self-made backups I give 10 years until backupping them in turn.

Also, I have had mental discussions with myself should I build another floor under the house with vaults and automatic fire extinguish... but at that point I usually just chicken out.

Although I keep the backups and originals 100 kilometres from each other... just in case.

Any ideas how to even better preserve my collection would be appreciated. Have you any rituals and archiving habits when it comes to protecting your loved ones? :lol:
Samutheus
Otto's Yo-Yo

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Robin » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:35 am

This is what I do to archive my games, scane in every single little piece of documents it come with (manuels, ads, hintbooks...) Then I also add to my database all of its information like a huge profile. Then I make back up copies of ever disk and if those backup disks get a few years old I make new ones, just to be safe. I also have a spare harddrive on my pc to store all scaned documents and games of every Sierra game I buy. :D
I dont really think a person could do more than that. As for boxes and the manuels I seal all documents and ads then place it in the original box, then seal the box and then store in big shelf. (all in plastic)

PS- I also have a special section to keep the originals clean and tidy, I also seal them in plastic. :lol:

EDIT: Were are my manors! WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

<RDSF Sings welcome theme!>

<Calls lazygal for the snowballs>

I hope you enjoy yourself here. :D
Last edited by Robin on Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please take a look at the latest rules, it is essential you follow them. !
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby BoosTDIt » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:04 am

~~~~~~~ _\___
~SMOKEE~~/ - - \___
~~~~~~~=\(@)_(@)/
BoosTDIt
Dr. Nonookie's Insurance Agent

Postby Larry53 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:51 pm

Larry53
Dr. Nonookie's Insurance Agent

Postby Samutheus » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:44 am

One can find FIRM.COM along with many other DOS-utilities . It works for me, but as the author states, it has been tested only on FAT systems. It handles all the 3,5" and 5,25" floppies (360K, 880K, 1.2M and 1.44M) and can write their images back in any way; you can read your 5,25" floppies and write them on more reliable 3,5" floppies.

Don't really know about the technique FIRM.COM uses, but after some testing back and forth I've come to trust this beautiful (size: 14K) piece of software. Fast, reliable and does only what it's told.
Samutheus
Otto's Yo-Yo

Postby Xenon Explosion » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:51 pm

Xenon Explosion
Clerk at Black's Market

Postby Tseki » Thu May 11, 2006 10:29 pm

Tseki
Hurtz Rent a Bike Ad Exec

Postby gasoline » Fri May 12, 2006 9:23 am

gasoline
Manannan's House Maid

Postby Tseki » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:36 pm