[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - Worth playing?

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

Worth playing?

Discussion about the GK Series

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Worth playing?

Postby QuestCollector » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:46 pm

May the Farce Be With You!
QuestCollector
Noxious Spore Harvester

Worth playing?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Robin » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:52 pm

Please take a look at the latest rules, it is essential you follow them. !
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby King Graham » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:08 pm

King Graham
Lytton's Mayoral Office Clerk

Postby Robin » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:29 pm

Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby QuestCollector » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:12 pm

QuestCollector
Noxious Spore Harvester

Postby LazyGal81 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:20 am

Oh yes!

Well, let me elaborate. It all depends on the style of games you're most interested in. If you're like me, and just an adventure game junkie, then you will like it.

It's darker themed than most of the other Sierra games (exception of Phantasmagoria is the one that comes to mind at the moment)...some adult language, hinting at adult situations (LSL was more, IMHO), some brief nudity (only female upper. which seems to be almost "normal" now. hey, I have nothing against breasts. hell, I have them. But geeze louise, it's getting to be way too much. but I digress. :wink: ). But the subject matter is mature. It's also supernatural (voodoo).

Gabriel Knight lives in New Orleans where he owns a book shop and is a cheesy-paperback-mystery writer. He follows his pal, a police detective, along on some investigations of so-called "voodoo" murders, hoping to get a good angle on his new book. On the way, he discovers that this has strange, ancient ties to his own family, and their legacy.

It's excellent. And I mean it. Gabriel Knight is my favourite (well, one) of the Sierra games. And the voice acting is tremendous, with Tim Curry, Michael Dorn, Leah Remini, Mark Hamil, amoung others. I can't reccomend this highly enough!
"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."--Monkey Island 1

LazyGal81

Postby Robin » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:41 pm

I got GK3 in spanish? :lol: I couldent find english.
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby LazyGal81 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:31 pm

Only one I haven't played. Well, I played it for a few days, didn't really get into it. Wasn't impressed with the 3d, or the third person perspective, I've also not been a big fan of real-time used to that degree in adventure games. But hey, Tim Curry came back, so it cant be all that bad, right? :lol:

LazyGal81

Postby Robin » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:21 am

Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby LazyGal81 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:39 am

LazyGal81

Postby King Graham » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:06 pm

King Graham

Postby 4th guy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:04 pm

4th guy
Graham's Feather

Postby LazyGal81 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:38 am

Yeah, you got it. Then you have the sub plots. Like GK1 also deals with his German ancestry and his family's legacy. It's also a love story of sorts.

Then GK2's got Richard Wagner (dealing with his "lost opera"--that's right, they wrote a whole new opera Wagner-esque!), and the "mad" king of Bavaria, Ludwig II.

And GK3's also got stuff about Rennes le Chateau, Mervogonians (sp?), and the Knights Templar (atleast, from what I've seen).

Oh yeah. These are must plays. The voice acting in 1 alone is enough to play it. And I believe that the adultish themes mix BEAUTIFULLY with the point n-click interface. (There's actually a couple of new buttons. For instance, you can ask people questions AND theres a regular "talk" button. )

LazyGal81

Postby QuestCollector » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:19 am

I am having a rough time with the audio and speech... it's all choppy and crap. I am using the sound blaster audigy 2 card, and it should work fine. If anyone knows how to fix this problem please respond fast. The game looks interesting and I want to play it, but the sound is just too bad.

Moderator Edit: No need to post twice, just edit your main post. :wink:

Well, after a bit of fooling around with it, the sound does work better in dosbox now... i opened the resource.cfg using notepad and changed the audiosize from 63k to 45k. works with less crackling but still not perfect yet...
QuestCollector
Noxious Spore Harvester

Postby WanderLady » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:19 pm

WanderLady
Nontoonyt Cannibalistic Native

Next

Return to Gabriel Knight